“Know the personal,
yet keep to the impersonal:
accept the world as it is.”
Healing T’ai Chi Exercise #35
Exercise #35 – Trunk Rotations
Benefits – This exercise will loosen your hip joints, stretch the muscles of the back while reducing your waistline and tightening your abdomen.
Posture – Sit upright. feet flat on the floor, shoulder-width apart. Tuck your hips slightly under so that your back is flat against the back of your chair.
Illustration by Jane Ramsey
- Begin with your hands resting on your thighs.
- Breathe in slowly, expanding your diaphragm.
- Begin breathing out slowly as you bend toward your thighs and tighten your abdomen.
- Rotate your trunk from right to left, breathing in again as you reach the end of the arc.
- Continue circling to your right at least 6 times.
- Reverse the direction of your rotation from left to right again for at least 6 rotations.
Use this illustration from Michael Reed Gach’s wonderful book, Acupressure’s Potent Points, to find the pressure point described below. This point is useful for many back problems.
- Find this useful pressure point 2 finger widths below your belly button.
- Press firmly on this point for a full minute. Use as often as necessary.
Don’t forget to drink water at the end of your exercise session or any time you begin to feel thirsty. A Word of Caution…If you have or have had problems with your kidneys, please consult your physician regarding the amount of water appropriate for your condition.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This week’s featured site: http://howtogetarthritisrelief.com/ Other Related Health Topics and Fitness Products:
- Find great deals on home exercise equipment at the Exercise Equipment Super Store.
- T’ai Chi in a Chair: Easy 15-Minute Routines for Beginners is now available exclusively at Barnes and Noble.
- Click on this link for great fitness ideas: Health Tips.
- More great fitness and health ideas: The Health Shack.
- Thinking of going on a diet? Try this link: Best Diets.
- For information on Reiki and other alternative/holistic health issues, click on this link: Phylameana lila Desy.
- How is your posture? Check it out at Posture Exercises.
- For all things T’ai Chi click on this link: American Society of Internal Arts.
- Best bookmarking and blog search site on the web: Technorati.
- For information on child and adult Attention Deficit Disorder, click on this link: http://www.attention-deficit-disorder.net/
- For many articles on general healthful practices, click on http://healthpromotiontips.com/
Other Informative Sites and Blogs:
~The exercises in this blog are intended for educational purposes only. Always consult with your health care provider before beginning a new exercise program.~